Sunday, July 19, 2015

Eight of Arrows – We Struggle Because We Have Hope

 The Wildwood Tarot, Eight of ArrowsThe Wildwood Tarot, Six of Arrows
Today’s card is the Eight of Arrows (Swords) from the Wildwood Tarot. We see a young woman struggling to find her way through the snow and the blizzard. There are eight broken and wasted arrows lying in the snow, with no use to anyone anymore. The woman is carrying a lit lantern, which is a symbol of her hope to eventually find her way again. Everybody knows how it feels to be in a situation like this; to be challenged by choices and dilemmas, which are often calling for harsh and sometimes painful decisions. And we know we are the ones who have to make them. Life can be cruel and difficult but we are fueled with hope that we will prevail. Otherwise we wouldn’t struggle and fight to overcome these challenges. And what will our destination be, once we have survived this storm?
The Six of Arrows. We are heading for the port to set sail on our boat towards calm weather. Now that we have left behind our broken arrows, our old thought patterns, we are energized with new possibilities and ideas. There are boundaries to cross. New reasonings will be tested, and new approaches will be researched. What wonders may lie ahead???

Drawing female face
Personally I’ve experienced yesterday a minor struggle of my own.  After reading Bev’s blogpost “indulging the Ego” I was wondering what hidden agenda I myself had for creating art and why my ego is always so hesitant to create since it would probable result in praise.  Or is my ego afraid that I will ruin the drawing and it won’t get it’s quick fix. Some part of me wanted to start drawing again so badly and finally, late at night I succeeded to overcome my inner adversary and I drew a woman’s face. Maybe I should call her Hope.

21 comments:

  1. I love the Wildwood's illustration of the Eight because it does feel like such a struggle. I hope my post didn't make you overthink your motives behind your artwork! Basically I think I was trying to say I find more joy in the act itself than in any result I may or may not get from it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand that, but it triggered some underlying issues also, which caused this internal struggle. but in the end I did draw and I am grateful for it and also for your timely post :D

      Delete
    2. Well (not pandering to any expectations of course, lol), your drawing is lovely!

      Delete
  2. That Eight of Arrows is an interesting slant. Our broken thoughts lying scattered about us, yet we manage to struggle on regardless. Maybe we need to break our regular thought patterns, even when it's a struggle, just as you did. And such beauty on the other side of that struggle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I've said to Bev; In the end it was worth the struggle. Hopefully this victory will last a bit longer.and my new ideas about the matter will have the opportunity to take root

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the depiction here is interesting. I like how it looks as though she's experiencing the aftermath of a battle, and is the last one left standing. The conditions are difficult, but she has a lit lamp to guide her forward. If she becomes too cold, she can use the flame to create a fire for warmth. And she has a river that will help her to connect to other bodies of water. Hmmm.....

      Delete
    3. When you put it like that she is not in such a bad place at all. The worst is over :)

      Delete
  3. We have to find that which inspires us, and let it take the driver's seat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah the ongoing art related struggle. ha ha. I felt the need to draw yesterday. So I pulled out my sketchbook and started. Unfortunately for me, it resulted in constant erasing and no finished drawing. It wasn't coming out the way I had it pictured in my head. I guess I will have to go into it without high expectations next time.

    This post came at just the right time. I think your sketch is great. Perhaps I shall try drawing again today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are fighting the same battle. Every time when we think we've beaten this nasty little bastard, it kicks back even harder. Letting go of expectations is hard but the only thing we can do if we want to enjoy the process
      Keep trying and keep having fun.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to have to praise your ego here, but.... your drawing is beautiful!! :-) I know what you mean. I have been thinking about similar things lately. I find I also have a tendency to avoid praise and recognition. Even when my husband compliments me, my usual response is "Stop it!" I think I need to learn how to be gracious, and not worry so much that by accepting a compliment it means I'll get a "big head." That is silly, even as I type it...... And to the other extreme, if I don't get any feedback for work I do, I worry myself to death that I was a total failure. So...clearly there's some work to do there ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I wrote in my comment on your blog.It seems we both have some serious shadow work to do by slaying some persistent demons. I think I will start this in the coming fall because that seems to be the appropriate time for this kind of work and I feel at my best during autumn.
      And thanks for the compliment

      Delete
    2. I think this is great stuff for the Autumn, that's true. And fortunately we're closing in on August, though it will stay hot here for a few more months...still, once the light changes and the shadows elongate, it feels like Fall.......

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Words can feel so inadequate when you are wanting to express yourself, but I will say Ellen your post is very poignant and has crept in and touched my soul. It is a post of synchronicity for me to read today.
    Your drawing is full of energy, life and hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the bottom of my heart: Thank you my dear friend
      Hugs

      Delete
    2. What you say about, how " we struggle because we hope." So true. <3

      Delete
    3. I seems we are both struggle with the same things.:)

      Delete
  8. I was thinking the very same. :)

    ReplyDelete