Saturday, February 8, 2014

Otter: Let’s play

Druid Animal Oracle
This very joyful card for the coming weekend is from the Druid Animal Oracle. Otter is all about playfulness and enjoying yourself, and when this is somewhat difficult, this card also represents help and protection.
“The card shows an otter looking for salmon. A member of the weasel family, and a relative of the beaver, the otter is equally at home in water or on land. It is able to stay underwater for up to four minutes, and for safety the entrance to its riverbank home lies below the water-line. The otter uses its tapered, powerful tail as a rudder and as a tool when building, while its webbed feet make it a strong swimmer. Living mainly on fish, it is noted for its playfulness and sense of fun.”
Otter invites us to play. To let go of all the drama and the seriousness of life for a while. It is not telling you to leave everything behind and give up, but just to take a step back and relax a bit. Leave the to-do list for what it is and do something just for the fun of it. It doesn't matter what, as long as you free your mind from the daily hustle
Sometimes I notice my tendency to organize even my “playtime” too much. Making goals for creativity can work rather stifling J. Perhaps I am suffering from the February blues, when we notice it is hard to stick to our, often too ambitious, New year’s intentions. So I will let Otter guide me to a more "go with the flow" attitude.
When I was a child, I could never have imagined that playing could be so difficult J
“Otter shows us that being playful can even lead us to catch the salmon - the fish prized by the Druids as the totem of wisdom.”

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I feel like you just took a peek in MY life, lol. I too have such a hard time letting down my guard and playing (though when I do it is so much fun and it is both relaxing and renewing). I wonder if I fear having too much fun with no constraints? Maybe it's just a control thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps not to be the only one who struggles with this. Control is often a result of anxiety and a lack of trust. Sadly I know that too well.
      Sometimes our family can be our otter. I have just finished baking a cake with M because she felt like it and we've enjoyed ourselves very much.:D

      Delete
  2. I love this deck and I agree about the importance of play. I was able to do that night before last with my sister. We go to a local restaurant where they have a DJ and Karaoke music on Friday nights. We have always enjoyed singing together, and it is so much fun to perform our favorite songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sure does sound like a lot of fun. I would love to be able to peek around a corner to watch you perform with your sister :)

      Delete