Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Hanged Man - Acceptance

It is still hot and moist here and I don’t function very well in this kind of weather. It is wearing me out and I am looking forward to some serious rain and thunderstorms (and so is my garden). So the Hanged Man from the Original Rider Waite Tarot is a very timely card for me. This card is all about letting go and coming to a standstill; life in suspension. Summer is the time for me to put many activities on hold. If I could go in a summer hibernation I would gladly J. But putting things on hold is only effective if you can let go of the desire to be active and energetic and accept how things are right now. The Hanged Man isn't resisting his status quo. Look at his peaceful expression.  He is making the most of it.
The halo  is the symbol of wisdom and tapping into your intuition. I read this as an advice to make time to ponder and meditate and to find new ways of connecting with the Divine, reviewing my beliefs and practices for whenever the heat cools down. Lately I've been thinking about observing the moon cycle more elaborate than just my usual new moon readings. The hanged man is also the one who urges me to see things from a different point a view. To revisit this practice and adept it to my current needs. I want it to be a fluid and intuitive practice without rules and lengthy texts and rituals. Maybe burning a candle, sit outside, pull or pick a card, draw or write something . Anything goes as long as I feel comfortable with it.
Maybe I also feel like this Hanged man because I've finished my painting recently, which leaves me in a kind of limbo. Not knowing where to go from here and a little bit anxious if the next one will be "as good" as this one. This too will pass, I know. I guess acceptance is my keyword for this card today.

6 comments:

  1. Boy I sure do relate to this post Ellen.

    I remember the first time this card came up when I had a fellow Tarot reader do my very first reading eve many years ago. It sort of freaked me out when I saw it, but once I came to understand the meaning of the Hanged Man I calmed down and didn't feel it was no longer an ominous card. It is a good feeling now when it appears. I know it brings spiritual awareness and happiness, but never knew the halo round his head represented wisdom and intuition. This makes perfect sense.

    Writing in my long hand daily journal is my morning ritual and Sundays I try to write letters, also long hand. Something very comforting about having these kinds of rituals as I find they ground me and I feel in touch with the rhythm of life.
    We are having the same kind of weather here Ellen and the humidity zaps energy for sure, and it's hard to get a good nights rest. However I really don't want to complain about the weather after the hellish Winter we had here!

    Enjoy hangin' out! <3


    Yes, when we finish some kind of creative project or reach a long waited goal there is always a feeling of anxiousness of sorts, wondering what to do next. Taking the time to " hang out " like the Hanged Man is a very positive place to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. before I had my Neck hernia I used to write in long hand in my journal too. Sometimes I still write very slowly but mostly I type my journal. I miss writing my morning pages though.In order "to hang out" I am planning to get up earlier in the morning to meditate and be by myself before my girls get up

      Delete
  2. Julia Cameron calls this 'refilling the well' time. (her books are wonderful) Don't push against it but draw it to you, when you step back into life you will be full of anticipation and ideas. Just like waking up on the first crisp autumn morning and literally springing from bed in the delight of just being alive.. The resultant anxiety of not acknowledging or even recognizing the hanged man days or weeks can be as bad as physical illness. Perhaps a good smudging is in order ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Julia's books very much "Refilling the well time" I can do that. Thank you Sharyn
      "Just like waking up on the first crisp autumn morning and literally springing from bed in the delight of just being alive." What wonderful morning that will be!!!

      Delete
  3. The summers here are much like the winters in Canada and other places that get fearfully cold. But I agree, when everything is growing, its hard to take a break; it feels like I need to be moving at the pace everything else is. I have no doubt your next painting will be as good or better than the last. Just let all that negative thinking drain out of your head while your upside down. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I see it pouring out :D
      Days are longer and there is much to be done.Here in the Netherlands Summer is all of nothing: fresh like spring a or blazing hot and moist and no time to adjust.
      I think will hang there for a while and relax

      Delete