Wednesday, July 23, 2014

My Thrift Store Haul

For today no daily draw. Yesterday I've been with M to  her new dentist and unlike previous experiences this time everything went so smoothly. She was very happy and she suggested to celebrate  this with a visit to a very  large thrift store in the same neighborhood. We both enjoy to snoop there.
We had a great time and got some amazing finds. Somehow a lot of my purchases are mainly spiritual items from different spiritual traditions: 

I have found a dark wooden standing crucifix and a wooden painted Madonna and Child. Together they are for me a representation of my most earliest belief system which I still hold dear to my heart.
Also I've found a little terracotta statue of Ganesha and a small elephant to go with it. He is for me the Kind Remover of my blockages. Then a dark wooden statue of a female mermaid (in my opinion Yemaya) with big breasts and a bowl filled with seafood in her hands, caught my attention and I couldn't leave her behind.  After that I thought I saw a small statue of an otter which reminded me of the Page of Cups from the Wildwood Tarot. Only when I came home S mentioned it was a seal (oops) but M suggested it could also be a selkie friend for my mermaid sea goddess.  The  Brigid’s Cross (made in Ireland) appealed to me very much. We already have a Brigid’s cross, I've made of wheat hanging, in our hallway and now I can have this one for in my bedroom
Also I've found a gnome with a mushroom head and some acorns in his hands to put up when autumn comes, and two little wooden boxes. One has the shape of an apple which reminded me of our apple tree and last but not least a lovely wooden tray and a tawny altar cloth (also for the Fall)

Immediately after we came home I've grabbed the beeswax and started polishing my wooden finds. Now they shine and smell great! What a perfect afternoon it was! 

6 comments:

  1. Aww that sounds like a lovely day! I love all those special treasures. I have a few of my own as well.

    My father was a gamblin' man and won a very old Buddha stamped and from China. It's been in our family since before I was born. I also have, what I call the Queen of my angels, since I have collected them and a very beautiful hand made wooden cross I got from a very sweet elderly man many years ago.
    My friend she gave me one of those special meditation brass bowls that I love. These spiritual treasures are like old friends don't you think? They become more precious with age.
    Thank you for sharing your afternoon Ellen! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love the see some pictures if you want to share them. They sound like real treasures to me.
      And yes the longer you have them the more connected you feel to them.

      Delete
  2. Hey, I like M's way of celebrating! I love visiting thrift and antique shops; I always wish the pieces there could tell me their stories. All your finds are nice, but the mermaid (and her companion) are especially fabulous, as is the Brigid's cross. Well done you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the Mermaid is the most special too.Can you imagine I did hesitate to buy her because she was a bit more expensive. Now I am so glad I did :)

      Delete
  3. I adore this, Ellen - so beautiful. Yes, could definitely be Yemaya, or La Sirene (from Voodoo!). This is really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I settle for Yemaya Because she has come up quite often lately. And I could really use some of her watery energy

      Delete