Monday, July 7, 2014

Forest - Breath

Earth Magic Oracle Steven Farmer Forest Breath
For today I've drawn “Forest” from the Earth Magic Oracle by Steven Farmer. In the guidebook we read:
" Your breathing is too shallow. Although it may feel natural, it is an unhealthy habit that causes this shortness of breath. When you subconsciously shorten your breath, no matter if this is habitual or triggered by some event or circumstance, it activates certain physiological signals that prepare your system for “fight or flight.” Another conditioned response to perceived danger is to hold your breath. This is your survival response, although it does not serve you to do so.
So… breathe! Inhale deeply, regardless of your concerns, worries, or problems; then let it go. Next, allow yourself to breathe a little deeper and slower a few times. Remember that every breath you inhale is a gift, and every breath you exhale is a gift. The forest is a clear reminder of how this works."

This is definitely happening to me lately: I feel more anxious than usual, and I can’t put my finger on the cause. I am tired, and I’m feeling a bit under the weather and maybe I've just got some mild summer flu. Who knows. The fact is I don’t feel so good. Breathing will definitely help. And of course I am  skipping my meditation sessions so picking up that will be a good starter to focus on my breath again. I will try not to fight this phase but damn I wish it was over! 

4 comments:

  1. Ah, being in a "blue funk" is a pain. It's not like there's a specific cause (because then there might be somewhere to focus your energy to change things). I know me telling you it will pass won't make you feel better now though. Get a bottle of kid's bubbles with the little wand inside to blow out in your garden. Those slow breaths needed to form a bubble seem to help - probably because you're using the breath, but also because you're focused on the bubble forming. :) (((Ellen))) Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did learn something today: Never heard of "blue funk" before. :D
      I wasn't going to post this because I thought is was too whiny. Somehow I must have pushed the publish button. :)
      Thanks for your support Bev. It feels good

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you're not feeling great, Ellen. Still, I'm glad you accidentally pushed that Publish button, as this was something I needed to be reminded of. I catch myself, sometimes, breathing shallowly. I should know better, but it's something that goes deep. So, thank you, and may your breath help inspire you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I could be of help to you today. Breathing right should come naturally but so many stress related issues keep blocking this flow of life.
      I wish you a natural stream of breath Kerry :)

      Delete