Thursday, July 31, 2014

Death is more than catching butterflies

Crystal Visions Tarot, Death, Jennifer Galasso
For today I've drawn Death from the Crystal Visions Tarot. I like this version of Death a lot. It has dark and light in it and depicts sadness and hope. Recently I've read a really great post about Death by Olivia from First Earth Tarot.
She emphasizes the necessity to see Death as so much more than a card for new beginnings. Of course we all agree that if you want to give way for change often some things have to end first. But ending parts of your life which have been dear to you for perhaps many years is raw and painful and there is sadness, fear, grief and not knowing what to do or where to go next.
The body of the woman is merging into stone while the butterflies, a symbol of transformation, fly away. There is even moss growing on her leg so she must have been there for a long time, The Angel of Death is standing beside her, following the process. Because that is, in my opinion, the most important aspect of the Death card: going through the process. The death card is more about the work than about the reward afterwards.
I have had a lot of “Death” experiences in my life and only afterwards I was grateful for every one of them, but during these periods of intense pain and sadness I didn't find a single butterfly.
What a caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly” R. Bach
(The text on the stone says: Life is changed not taken away)

12 comments:

  1. I think what really gets changed is me. There's no way I could experience such a deep loss and not be changed by it (but I do hope I don't get changed to stone!). I think it makes some people more open-hearted, while others close themselves off in an effort of protection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think I am afraid of new relationships because I've lost so many already. But then I realize I have to keep moving; keep changing, keep growing :D

      Delete
  2. That was a lovely post Ellen. And I also understand the need for a 'clear ending' card in tarot, with or without new beginnings attached.

    Gorgeous version in this deck too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I really liked Olivia's post and she has given me much to think about.
      An appealing death card is a must for me in a deck

      Delete
    2. Usually, I check the Hanged Man, the Knight of Cups.

      These days, the 8 of Pentacles and Knight of Wands usually needs to be 'right' for me.

      I do like this image, but am not sure if the deck wouldn't be too feminine for me.

      Delete
    3. I am due a London tarot visit soon ... ;)

      Aside from that Death card, the artwork doesn't do so much for me. But I think it might be one I need to see in person, so I will see if they have a sample set in the tarot store I go to there. Having said that, I am quite sure that I did look at it last time I was there though. I fancy a new reading deck, but I am not sure this is the one. Hopefully, there will be something new and interesting when I go there.

      Delete
    4. I think it is too girly for you. It's very appealing for my little inner girl though :)I just love fairy tales etc
      The Chrysalis Tarot is a deck that I like very much but it is very different from the RW .and I remember you would like to stick with that system for a while

      Delete
  3. I always find the topic of death very taboo in our society. Most folks who don't understand Tarot are freaked out when the see this card come up as they really don't understand. That said the Death card being about transformation, it opens the door to discuss the topic on occasion. It is transformation and all part of the cycle of life. Do you know the story of Skeleton Woman?
    I too Ellen have had many family members and close friends die. I has been a huge learning curve for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember how scared I was when I pulled Death in the beginning of my tarot journey :)
      Yes I do know the story!! Somehow you learn how to loose someone if that's makes sense...

      Delete
  4. You're so right about this being a process card, and not just happy butterflies. I worked for a while as a bereavement counsellor, and grief is often a long, painful process. Yes, we hope to find new joy on the other side of it, but it takes time and work and acceptance and tears…
    Hugs,
    Kxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to take a short cut from grief after my husband's stroke but it caught up with me stronger and more persistent than in the beginning.
      Now dawn is breaking and I can truly say I've reached the other side :)
      hugs

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad to hear that, Ellen! (((hugs)))

      Delete