Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New moon in January: clearing space for the coming year

As so many of you already know this first day of the new year is also the first new moon of this year. This is truly a great day to start anew. It has been a long time ago since I was so excited to start the new year. I’m overjoyed the Holidays are over and I couldn’t be more thrilled to start this year. For the first time, I have done some "preparatory" journaling about last year’s experiences and achievements and new year’s goals and promises. So I feel really energized and eager to start his year! The reading for this new moon gave me very sound advice for  the month of January. As usual I've chosen the Osho Zen Tarot, which has become my “new moon” deck. 
Osho Zen Tarot
Release: The Burden (Six of Clouds)
 “If life these days feels like just a struggle from the cradle to the grave, it could be time to shrug your shoulders and see what it feels like to walk without these characters on your back. You have your own mountains to conquer, your own dreams to fulfill, but you will never have the energy to pursue them until you release yourself from all the expectations you've gathered from others but now think are your own. Chances are they exist only in your own mind, but that doesn't mean they can't weigh you down. It's time to lighten up, and send them on their way.” 
I've just realized this morning, I've only journaled about my achievements and happy experiences off 2013 but I also wanted to write about the notions and expectations ( from others as well as from myself) I have to let go in order to be able to move forward more freely. Perhaps during all the business of the Holidays I “forgot” to do this. It is so easy to be dragged down by the voices in your head. By naming them and acknowledging them I hope to invalidate them 
Embrace: Letting go (Eight of Water)
“In surrendering to gravity and slipping off the leaf, the drop loses its previous identity and joins the vastness of the water below. We can imagine that it must have trembled before it fell, just on the edge between the known and the unknowable. To choose this card is a recognition that something is finished, something is completing. Whatever it is--a job, a relationship, a home you have loved, anything that might have helped you to define who you are--it is time to let go of it, allowing any sadness but not trying to hold on. Something greater is awaiting you, new dimensions are there to be discovered. You are past the point of no return now, and gravity is doing its work. Go with it: it represents liberation” 
How great is that. What a wonderful and fitting theme for this month. I will certainly review the last year in terms of letting go. I have celebrated my successes already now it is time to take the next step and  let things go and release them. I know I will tremble a bit but when I take it slow I can do this! For today I will clear my house of the leftovers from the Holidays: food, dust bunnies, decorations and make room for the fresh January energy

13 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a clearer reading. That's as blunt as they come! :) I think naming those voices will show them for what they are - past patterns and expectations of others. They can't have any power unless you give it to them.
    New year - new moon - what a perfect beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I was a bit blown away too when I saw these cards. But they are so fitting for now.:)

      Delete
  2. Nice, clear combo. Must be a shared theme for the month of January. My Lenormand 'January' Grand Tableau revealed in the Fate Line: a lesson to be learned - letting go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a lot of synchronicity on several blogs. Perhaps it's something in the air ??? :D

      Delete
  3. Wow, such a powerful pair of cards, Ellen! And the message could not be clearer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zanna. I couldn't agree with you more :D

      Delete
  4. Such serendipity! I just wrote a few hours ago about feeling lighter after releasing myself from the weight of others' expectations. This year does have an exciting energy already, doesn't it? This is a lovely reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems many people are picking up, or sharing the same energy. It is almost a tingly feeling. I am curious about your post now! :D

      Delete
    2. It's on my "project me" blog, which is linked on my tarot journal.

      Delete
  5. or maybe synchronicity is what I should say. Serendipitous synchronicity? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful reading, Ellen! And as you say, a lot of synchronicity about. We took down our Christmas tree yesterday, and I wrote in my Year Planner about what I need to release from 2013 :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've made that list yesterday too :D (sync!)
      I was a little bit afraid it would become very emotional but instead it was rather energizing.

      Delete
    2. Hope that energy carries you through :) Am loving your word and your focus!

      Delete