Monday, March 7, 2016

Eight of Swords and Five of Cups – Finding a way out

Shadowscapes Tarot, Eight of Swords  Stephanie Pui-Mun LawToday’s card is the eight of Swords from the Shadowscapes tarot. “Not again! ”(Deep sigh).
This card is all about being held captive by our own limiting and condescending thoughts. Although I do love working with his deck a lot, I have to admit I get a bit tired of all the swords it is handing me out. I think I do get the message now: I need to be more in though with my feelings in order to be able to move on from this plight. In this card we see how a little tiny colorful bird is showing the magnificent white swan the way out of the brambles.
For advice on how to free myself I thought I’d pick another deck; perhaps one less prone to present me a Sword card. I chose the Wild Unknown Tarot and the card I got was the Five of Cups:
I immediately was reminded of Eeyore the donkey, friend of Winnie the Pooh, who has a “always look on the dark side of life” demeanor.  So the ability to step out of the Eight of Swords situation it is not about being  more in touch with your feelings because our Eeyore knows all about that.
This card also want us to look up and this time to our five cups filled with things to be grateful for. Lifting your head up is an active conscious decision. Whether it is to God, to our higher self, to the abundance in our life or to the sun, I believe if we choose peace and acceptance over misery we may not be happy right away but it is a much better place to be that fighting to get out of a desperate situation while being sorry for ourselves.
And maybe, just maybe this challenging situation might be the door to something beautiful
"I'd look on the bright side, if I could find one." –Eeyore .

16 comments:

  1. Love the Eeyore comparison! It totally fits and you got such great advice from it. I have faith you will be able to escape from that bramble of swords.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! luckily I do share that faith :)

      Delete
  2. I read something by Phillip Moffitt last night about gratitude that seems to fit with that little hummingbird. :) (Gratitude is my principle for March.)

    "Gratitude is one of the most powerful practices for living the dharma in daily life and the most easily cultivated, requiring the least sacrifice for what is gained in return. It is particularly effective for people who have depressed or self-defeating feelings, or those who habitually notice everything that's wrong in life."
    http://dharmawisdom.org/teachings/articles/gratitude-daily-life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Gratitude is one of the pillars of my spiritual practice. The more I embrace this attitude the more I discover to be grateful for.
      I like you how you focus on a principle each month. Are you able to keep working on them when the month is finished?

      Delete
    2. Well the point is to incorporate all of them, but I find it helps to take an in depth look at how they manifest or are missing in my life. It's amazing how I tend to view these with blinders sometimes, yet if I look at them from a slightly different angle, I see them in a whole new way. Like looking at forgiveness as a form of generosity. :)

      Delete
    3. Yes a change of perspective can be most educating :D

      Delete
  3. I attended a personal safety course where we were encouraged when walking to our vehicle at night to stand straight and hold our head up. Walking slumped, head down is like a big neon arrow pointing to us shouting VICTIM VICTIM. Amazing how often I see that arrow in the course of people watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes when we feel low even a change of posture can make all the difference. :)

      Delete
  4. I really understand about the swords... I'm part of a challenge on IG, and think I may switch to Oracle cards (they don't have swords to they? LOL) You share such wonderful advice here about gratitude attracting more reasons to be grateful ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. It works for me that way. When I focus on gratitude so many wonderful things capture my attention; just the simple things but such precious ones
      F.i. M is has just made tea for me which has a delicious smell of pears....
      And what about that fresh biscuit to go with it
      I have been playing with oracle decks a lot too lately; for the same reason!! :D

      Delete
  5. Lovely reading, Ellen. I was listening to Kyle Gray on the radio today and he was talking about filling yourself with so much love and happy thoughts that there wasn't enough room for the bad ones. I really like your comments about lifting your head up to the sun. Love the horse too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And also by reading such lovely comments on your blog. Big smile on my face now
      Hugs

      Delete
  6. Hello,I like this post it feels a deja vu moment to me :) I don't own the Shadowscape tarot,but when a see the hummingbird I smile,because this is my healing animal totem.So beautiful and powerful this 8 of swords card.<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fatima, Thank you for stopping by! I love the Shadowscapes tarot a lot and this card is a gorgeous representation of how get to get out of a stifling situation. The hummingbird, so small and tender but such a delight for the eyes and the soul.

      Delete
  7. Love what you say about lifting your head being a choice! Choose to seek joy, to look for the beauty in life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And even if we can find joy right away we do walk with our heads held high :)

      Delete