Sunday, September 29, 2013

Facing my demons

29 September: St Michaelsday. Michael is the angel who has driven the devil out of heaven. How do you drive your “demons” away?
strength Anna K Tarot
Anna K Tarot
I have to admit I felt rather hesitant to write about my demons. Who wants to face them out of his own free will. Aren't those scary little voices throughout the day bad enough? But I don’t want to be called a chicken so I've put on my harness, and picked up my sword and went to battle in the inner darkest crevices of my mind. I've pulled Strength from the Anna K tarot to be my guide...
Strength is all about bringing balance to opposing forces in our nature and sometimes conquering our shadowy aspects. But instead of slaying her demon, the lovely fair-haired lady is looking it right in the eyes with gentle compassion. Sometimes when we are setting out to fight our negative traits  they just become stronger, but when we face them, acknowledge them, they tend to blend into who we want to become: A whole balanced person. Sometimes our demons can become our daemons  (Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods (Wikipedia))who will assist us with great love, gratitude and admiration for bringing them into the light.


8 comments:

  1. Your post made me think of how so many things get labeled here in the States: the War on Drugs, the War on Poverty, the War on Terrorism...
    Our mentality is often to go to battle to win. Yet it seems like if we tried a different, more loving approach, we might actually get somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Lennon has written that beautiful song: "All you need it love ". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was listening to Jane Fonda this morning on Oprah's Master Class, and she was saying the same thing. She was talking about facing what we're afraid of. She says when she has a fear of something, she immerses herself in it, learns everything she can about it, gets involved with it from all angles, and that diminishes it. It's similar to your ideas here, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think so too. Although this facing our fears etc can be healing, it can be a very scary thing to do. I know I do want to face my inner shadow, but I am not always up to it :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Facing is the key word here. We are very good at walking backwards with our heads in a hole in the ground :)
    I'm better since I've been working on not being depressed, but my usual thing is just to absolutely not look something in the face. Doesn't work for long but sometimes it gives breathing space for grieving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yo are so right. Breathing space is very important. And one cannot walk away from grief. It will catch up with you in the end; I know...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes those things we keep running away from just need to be heard and acknowledged and when we do that they stop trying so hard to get our attention. I love how wrote about demons turning into daemons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I suppose they originally were our daimons but how easily they get transformed by the influence of society; what once was our strength has been turned in our weaknesses
      Happy to see you back :)

      Delete