Thursday, June 26, 2014

Mut, Mother of mothers

Today's card is from the Goddess Inspiration Oracle by Kris Waldherr and is called Mut, which literally means “mother”.
When I saw the attribute by which she was honored: Mother of mothers, the first thing that came to mind was this does sound a lot like we are taking about Mary
But this card depicts a much more ancient picture of the feminine Divine. Mut is said to be the origin of the cosmos; of all life. She is the primordial mother goddess of Ancient Egypt and similar to o.a. Erda (Norse) and Gaia (Greek), both earth mothers too.  She was especially revered by pregnant woman and mothers.
I am always a bit in awe when I realize how many men and women  before me have made a connection with the Goddess by whatever name they preferred. I mean Mut was already in the picture in 2500 BC and perhaps even earlier!
The message on the card advises us to mother ourselves. Immediately I think about spoiling myself with lots of chocolate. I guess that’s the little Ellen in me who wants treats and if possibe now! But mothering also means to be firm, encouraging and supportive with a large dose of love.
Today I will be cherished by my loving and supportive inner mother 

4 comments:

  1. If only we could put forth as much love toward ourselves as we do toward others...not in a self-centered sort of way, but in a way that would nurture and heal us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only...
      But I do hope sincerely we've instilled a stronger sense of self worth and self love in our children so they don't have to struggle with this issue so hard

      Delete
  2. Oh I've always had such a fascination with Egypt. I have never heard of Mut, other than what most of my dogs have been! Very interesting. I relate strongly with the idea of The Goddess and mothering ourselves. When this idea was first introduced to me it was foreign to me and hard for me to feel comfortable with at all. It certainly got easier as time past. I felt I was for too many years outwardly focused " mothering " everyone but myself. Thank goodness those days are long gone!

    Thanks for the good post and the good reminder Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think outwardly mothering is something many women our age struggle with. "Aim to please" I guess. My mother has this credo: "As long as your family is happy, you are happy"
      I am so glad I have moved past that notion.

      Delete