Thursday, October 29, 2015

Learning to appreciate the Knight of Wands

After nearly a month of shadow work, how do I feel about my least favorite tarot card of the deck: the Knight of Wands? Honestly my feelings couldn’t have been more opposite and if you would have asked me this in the beginning of the month I would never ever have believed my opinion about this knight could changed so much.


In my previous post about him I wrote how much I disliked his high spirited and adventurous nature and I even confessed I might be a bit jealous of him.
Well this month he has slowly come out of the shadows and I really came to appreciate his qualities. It is so easy to forget the positive aspect of a card you dislike. As always an aversion to a card says more about us than about the card itself. It is only natural when a card represents a shadow aspect of ourselves we are not prone to like it. But this month’s work showed me I was more afraid of this knight than that I actually disliked him. If I would dare to embrace him I might have to face my creative drive, embrace my passion and be vulnerable because I could fail or maybe even worse; be successful….

So carefully I’ve started to draw and paint again and I love it. It is still scary but I don’t feel anxious about it. For the first time in years I have started a painting on canvas. Rarely did I consider my art worthy enough to do so. Yes participating in this challenge has definitely opened some doors and windows for me and now a fresh breeze is caressing my soul

12 comments:

  1. Wow, great progress! Sticking it out on a challenge with the goals made up by someone else also shows great character. I'd never do someone else's challenge, I'm a lazy bum who easily gets bored stiff. I truly admire you greatly, and look forward to many show and tell posts over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sharyn! Doing this challenge was profound experience. Honestly I have also trouble finishing these challenges. Most of the time I quit just before the finish line. :)

      Delete
  2. "It is so easy to forget the positive aspect of a card you dislike."
    This is so true! I have this problem with the Hierophant, but often forget his positives - the opportunity to learn from a teacher and the sense of belonging that comes from being part of a group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every card has its positive and negative aspects. It is up to us to find out which ones we are paying attention to and then the most important thing of all, asking ourselves why??

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy to hear the shadow work month has gone well for you! It sounds like it was a very eye opening experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! it was indeed. I am so glad I particpated :)

      Delete
  4. So happy for you, Ellen. You brought your whole self to this challenge. And look at that Knight, dynamism and grace coming through the red palace of the heart...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Red palace of the heart"I like that!
      It was dark sometimes but it was so worth it!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the challenge. Makes me wish I'd joined in. Love this image of the knight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cher, Maybe you could do it on your own some time?

      Delete
    2. I was thinking the same thing. I saved the image of the challenge to my computer. :)

      Delete
    3. Let me know some time what your experiences are (if you feel like it)

      Delete