Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Seven of Swords - Putting it all together

After yesterday’s card, the Seven of Swords seems to invite us to really take a good look at what we believe to be true and to shed some light over contradicting idea’s. This card invites me to write about my spiritual beliefs and how I came to this personal blend of several belief systems.
As you all know I was raised Christian but never felt quite comfortable with the exclusive nature of Christianity. Although I loved God and Jesus, the dogma’s were putting me off immensely.  So starting in adolescence,  I have always been trying to fit in with other kinds of spiritual groups but up until today I have never found one. Buddhism, Wicca, Paganism, they all have beautiful and deep truths but somehow I missed the God of my Childhood and, honestly, there was always the fear of being totally wrong and the impending consequences.
My altar was a beautiful representation of my confusion and my swaying between different beliefs. One day I would have representations of Mary, Jesus and other Christian symbols on my altar but a month later it could have changed into a celebration of nature and the Divine Feminine. When I was totally confused I reduced it to a few crystals and a large white candle.
Then I picked up “Paganism” by River and Joyce Higginbotham which taught me that our idea’s of Divinity are something entirely different then Divinity itself. Words, ideas etc are only limiting our perception of God.
This helped me to overcome the fear to be wrong and after long deliberation, I took a leap of faith and I wholeheartedly embraced God as truly multifaceted. It was such a relief not having to puzzle the pieces together but experiencing how everything blends in seamlessly: my love for Jesus and Mary are in no way contradicting with my reverence for Mother Holda and the  Great Mother. One thing that l really love is that with Jesus, I have a male aspect of God to relate to which was very difficult for me when I was solely focusing on Paganism.
In this card we see the old man desperately trying to fit his seven swords in a structure he can work with. I am now positive he will succeed but only when he is willing to implement some room for mystery and awe because our spirit can take us places where our mind cannot enter.

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely altar! I can relate to your spiritual search; though I am now comfortable with secular Buddhism, I spent many, many years running from the Christianity of my childhood toward other religions and philosophies. I believe any religious deity is simply a man-made concept, though that does not negate the idea that there is something greater out there. I just don't think humans are very good at describing it because we like to surround it with dogma and creeds. The heart, I think, is the best place to discover Mystery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bev. I think when you forget to listen to your heart it is so easy to get strapped up in dogma's and the need to be right or the urge to try to convince others of your point a view. Both are a downside effects of the Seven of Swords.
      I'll always remember you've told me once to go to the altar of my heart.
      There I can meet God without words or creeds
      Hugs

      Delete
  2. Beautifully said. When I gave up the idea of God and heaven, it was very freeing for me. Would that all can come to that same sense of peace, regardless of how we get there or where there is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharyn, that is my wish too: Freedom to believe and practice however feels right for everyone.

      Delete
  3. I really like that Seven of Swords. Seven is the 'mystic' number, seven days in a week, seven charkras, seven wonders of the world, seven, seven, seven and your take on the mystic, the old man bringing order to his thoughts. As to religion I don't harness myself with any one way of belief. I am constantly changing, a work in progress. I read some place recently that God created man and woman for company and I can get behind that. Not to have to dominion over them, he just wanted someone to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovel that notion. I believe there is a distinct difference between manmade religion and relating to the Divine in our own personal way. Yes, and always growing, always changing: that is what makes life interesting

      Delete
  4. A thought provoking post. I was raised in a sort of catholic milieu (parents lapsed but a couple of staunch grandparents who wielded some economic influence and I got sent to a catholic school ostensibly because of better academic results plus there was the offer of a free bus pass. Oh dear not sounding good. K and I were talking the other night of how we have shaken off the dogma and doctrine but Jesus' teachings are indelibly imprinted on our minds. Yet the only reason others teachings are not is because we didn't get taught those. I am in a bit of a searching phase now and the idea of achieving peace through a blend of spiritual influences speaks to me as comes through so gracefully in your post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "indelibly imprinted": Same here. I have found that being raised with these stories and teachings make the Christian faith so easy to relate to. Jesus and Mary have become more real to me than for instance Hindu Gods, who I only can relate to through there description of what they do and what their myth is about. Their characters remain flat to me.
      I hope you will enjoy this adventure of searching and finding your nook in the Great Web
      Hugs

      Delete
  5. I love your altar - and your approach! I take alot of comfort from the traditions that I grew up with, but now pull things together in a way that works for me. My altar space has Quan Yin, Mother Mary, a few different representations of animal helping spirits I work with - I even have a "Smurf" LOL, to remind me not to take anything too seriously. There are some days, he is the one that helps me the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thansk Carol! Maybe I should find something to represent that lighthearted energy too :) I do love littel gnomes ( we call them "kabouters")
      I feel that connecting this way to the Divine gives us so much more freedom and less stress and fear of doing something wrong

      Delete