Thursday, June 29, 2017

Eight of Arrows – Keep Going

Today’s card is the Eight of Arrows (aka the Eight of Swords) from the Wildwood Tarot.  We see a young woman struggling on her journey. Eight broken arrows are lying in the snow. They are of no use to her anymore.  Although her path is challenging, cold and lonely, she keeps going and she doesn’t give up. Her staff and her lantern are symbols of hope and determination. I prefer this depiction over the Rider-Waite version where the woman is blindfolded and not able to leave the imprisonment of her own thoughts.
No, this young woman is painfully aware of the brokenness of her arrows and how she has to rephrase her view of life, her feelings and ideas, her story. Often this is a lonely road to travel. Of course, we can ask for advice but the actual task, the decision to move forward,  is ours. This is, in my opinion, an act of great courage. 

This week we had a family get together to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This day is always filled with many contra dictionary feelings which leave me a bit shattered and down. Outdated expectations and missed opportunities are almost certain to come up on days like this. But although I am not feeling at my best. I do know it is best for me to keep going and to keep busy.

6 comments:

  1. I think many anniversaries are fraught with double sided memories. (((little family)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder why we celebrate them at all. I prefer the "normal" days so much better; always have :)

      Delete
  2. I will hold you in my good thoughts. We all have those times and like your gal in the eight of swords have to find our way out of the drifts of memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear Carolyn. I am postive I will find my way out of this quite soon

      Delete
  3. I too prefer this more empowering version than the damsel in distress!
    Sending a gentle hug your way, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that damsel can be so overly dramatic :)
      Thank you so much my dear Bev

      Delete