Wednesday, October 18, 2017

The Moon – Dealing with shadows

Raven's Prophecy The Moon Maggie Stiefvater blog logger
Today’s card is The Moon from the Raven’s Prophecy Tarot. It appears that the raven is holding the moon in his beak but we all know this is only an illusion. At night in the silvery moonlight, everything seems to look different. Shadows could easily be monsters lurking behind a tree. The sound of falling acorns will startle us more at night than during the day when the sun illuminates our life with certainty and purpose. But at night is it easy to get lost in the dark; to take the wrong turn at the crossroads and to become scared and uncertain but it can also bring you unexpected sometimes magical discoveries…

October is traditionally the month of shadow-work challenges on IG and this year I am participating for the third time with #shadowworkoctober by @mnomquah.  Although it isn’t easy, I am proud to say I have been keeping up so far. Issues which I hadn’t expected are coming to the surface. And others which I was ready to deal with once and for all, seem to stay hidden this year. This is one of the reasons I like to use Tarot for the exploration of my shadow because you can’t decide up front what is going to happen during the process. For me, shadow work with Tarot is a leap of faith into the dark abyss of my soul. Yes, Tarot is making shadow work so much more exciting and sometimes even scary but always surprising and rewarding.  

8 comments:

  1. What a delightfully fantastic Moon card! Shadow work, like aging, is not for sissies. ;) Hope you unearth some treasures along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bev, so far it has been quite the journey and although it is rather confronting sometimes, I am really enjoying the process. :)

      Delete
  2. The Tarot is so much more than divination. It is a mirror that we can look into and discover this n that about ourselves and how we relate in the world. Nice reading for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. I hardly ever use tarot for divination because I believe that the mirror aspect of the cards is so much more interesting.

      Delete
  3. Our Pacific Northwest native peoples have an ancient myth of Raven Swallows The Moon.
    I'm always amazed at what hairballs the cards pull up and make me think about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as we don't choke on them :)
      I will google that myth. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. That is a fabulous moon! It highlights so well the aspect of things not being as they seem. And yes, I'm so with you on the joy of tarot - taking you in directions you might not have expected, yet that are always just right in the moment <3

    ReplyDelete