Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Need for Retreat

Runes Nauthiz Soulcards 2
For today I’ve drawn the rune Nauthiz or Need and a clarifying card from Soul Cards 2.
Although it is officially Spring and the energy should feel  outward and exuberantly, it feels more like the beginning of a Dutch winter with rain, hail and snow. The heating works overtime and we are wearing cardigans and shawls to keep warm and feel comfortable.
The rune Nauthiz  is the rune of need and necessity and the desire to fulfill the lack we feel.  My Soul Card for today is telling me what it is that I need and believe me if I say it is not the first “retreat” card I got this week. This one in combination with Nauthiz gives me the feeling it is indeed necessary to take time for myself. Instead of filling this time with writing and reading, like I am used to, I could try to sit still and do nothing, not even meditate but just sit and be and let my mind wonder and make room for feelings too. 
Just like the woman who  is sheltered by the tree from the harsh winter wind. She is sitting there with her eyes closed not even noticing the curious deer/dog like animal. All the leaves have been blow away; every outdated thought  has been released to make room for new ones But not now, not yet. Now is the time to recuperate and replenish her soul. And all this while resting in the embrace of God(dess), the earth, the tree, the wind, her guardian and her (still hidden) heart’s desire.

Basho — 'Sitting quietly, doing nothing, Spring comes, and the grass grows, by itself"

6 comments:

  1. With spring in hiding, it sounds like a retreat is definitely in order! Hope you find some inner joy and inspiration there. Glad to see you using your runes again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Bev I hope I will too. I've picked up my paintbrushes again and that is also a good way to quiet down the mind

      Delete
  2. It has been a long time since I just sat and have not been aware of things around me. My mind has not been quiet for quite awhile.
    May you find some quiet time for yourself, follow the wisp and see where it takes you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn and I hope you will give yourself permission and time to do so too. See you in Wisp's land

      Delete
  3. I love this card, Ellen. Always makes me feel so calm and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure does! It als makes me long for september. I am not a fan of Summer:)

      Delete