Friday, March 25, 2016

Portrait of Jesus in Oil Pastel

Yesterday I read the following journaling prompt from Journaling Sage on IG: “If you let go of expectation, what would you start doing?” And I wrote: “I would draw and paint all day long!” That was indeed an eye-opener for me. All these expectations of creating the perfect artwork prevent me from doing anything at all. It is not so much that I think I can’t draw, but more that everything I draw (or paint) has to perfect, otherwise what is the point of drawing it anyway....
Now this made me realize how much I  undermine my creative playful self by putting such high expectations on the result of my efforts. And then I picked up my oil pastels and drew a portrait of Jesus. 
Portrait Jesus oilpastel ellen k

For me a logical follow up after my renditions of Mother Mary.  He is a lot on my mind lately and for now this feels very familiar and comforting. While working on his portrait, it felt so liberating to have none of those negative thoughts. Only after I was finished these nagging voices tried to disapprove of my work. They saw so many flaws and mistakes but I was able to let everything slide and focus on the contentment and fulfillment which making this portrait has given me.
This felt remarkably strong and confident. Yes making art and to be able to be grateful for whatever you create is all that matters!

8 comments:

  1. It came out wonderfully. Good job kicking those thoughts aside and painting anyway! I have the exact same problem. In most cases I tell myself the art isn't going to come out the way I imagine it in my head. Which is true...but what is wrong with that!? Nothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are often to hung up on the images in our head and forget the joy of our soul when we create something... anything!

      Delete
  2. Send those inner critics to time out and focus solely on that good feeling of fulfilment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your Painting of Mother Mary. This painting is also beautiful and so timely with it being the Holy Week of Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you were able to just enjoy the creative process. And tell those voices to be quiet - it is lovely! I'm so impressed with how you've taken to these new medium of oil pastels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chloe. It is for me a pleasant but also surprising experience as well. Never could imagine I would like it so much :)

      Delete