Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Nine of Pentacles – Happy Lughnasadh /Lammas

Llewellyn Tarot Nine of Pentacles
Yesterday I have received the Llewellyn Tarot in the mail. It was a belated birthday present from M. This deck has been on and off my wish list for such a long time because I wasn’t sure if I needed yet another Rider Waite Smith based deck in my collection. It was the artwork that convinced me that I indeed wanted this deck. When I flipped through the cards for the first time I was amazed by the rich palette the artist has used. As always in real life, the colors are so much more vibrant than in the online pictures. Because it is Rider Waite based, the deck is easy to read but has also more than enough new symbolism and layers to stir my curiosity and to let me dive deep into this deck and the beautiful guidebook filled with Welsh history and myths.
Today it is Lammas or Lughnasadh, the festival which marks the beginning of the harvest season with the first wheat harvest. For this day I picked the Nine of Pentacles. Not only because it is one of my favorite minors but more so because it illustrates beautifully how the time of reaping what we have sown has begun. The lady in the card is fortunate: she has worked hard all Summer and her harvest is abundant. The first wheat has been bound into a sheaf and I am positive that a lot more will follow.

I am planning to bake a loaf of bread today and fill my heart with things I am grateful for. All the things  I have sown myself but perhaps even more important: everything which  I have received as a gift from others.

12 comments:

  1. I love the pen and watercolor illustrations in this deck. Happy Lammas to you dear friend! May the 'bread' you bake always rise above your expectations! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bev! The deck has such a soft and dreamy feel due to this artstyle, almost like it is a illustrated story book

      Delete
  2. Has always been one of my favorite decks. And that is a favorite card. Along with the three of coins. We've also been to Wales twice so the majors theme is pleasurable to blog from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You popped right into my mind when I saw that Three of Coins :D

      Delete
  3. I baked zucchini bread and muffins on Sunday. The nine of pentacles makes me think of me and my work a day life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious Carolyn! I love this card in any deck!

      Delete
  4. I love this deck, too! There was a while, back in 2008, when I used it a lot working on a tarot phone line. And in 2012 I used it a lot in spellwork :D

    A wonderful reminder, too, to give thanks for the gifts of others, and of the universe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel this could become one of my favorite decks very soon and I am M so grateful to have bought this one for me
      As you say it is a very versatile deck. I am wondering if I could pair it with on of my oracle decks but I am sure it will go perfectly with my runes. :)

      Delete
  5. Any deck you use looks amazing with you interpretation. I am trying to enjoy the ones I have :) Lammas was spent in the woods with many dear witchy friends and I couldnt wish for a better one. Happy belated Lughnadagh Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much for your kind comment Alla! How lovely to have a group of like minded friends to celebrate with
      I hope this season will bring you lots of joy and an abundant harvest.
      Hugs

      Delete
  6. It comforts me to think the words that seemed like lightening bolt from my parents were simply words to them, just a few of a days worth. Ask your daughters what you've said that scared or intimidated or really mad them happy. I'd be curious if you remember saying them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probable not since I have a crappy memory but I will ask them :)

      Delete