Thursday, May 21, 2015

Getting reacquainted with the Tarot of the Hidden Realm

Sometimes without knowing a well beloved deck gets forgotten while other decks, especially newer ones get all the attention.  I saw in the archives of my blog that is was October last year since I've used the Tarot of the Hidden Realm.
lost and found drawer
Why? For no particularly reason. So this morning I went outside with a cup of coffee and flipped through the entire deck, naming one thing per card which stood out for me and get reacquainted with this beautiful Fae deck. Then I shuffled the deck and pulled three cards. No spread, no positions, no question and….no guidebook. The last one was the most scary part because this deck is somewhat difficult to read for me and such a long time has past since I worked with this deck
In the box of the Wild unknown Tarot there is a message printed which says: "You'll find no wrongs or rights inside this box, only mirrors for reflection. open your mind, draw a card, & have fun on your journey". This wisdom is of course valid for working with any deck.
 I think tapping into our intuition is the key for a balanced reading. Because without it our personal interpretation of the cards a reading would soon become lifeless and boring. Usually when I read for myself I will get flashes of insight of what a card means to me and sometimes this has nothing to do with the intended meaning of this card. Often I check if my ideas correlate with what the guidebook says but for today I just wanted to follow and acknowledge the messages of my intuition.
For today I've drawn:
Tarot of the Hidden Realm, King of Pentacles, Temperance, Six of Swords, Julia Jeffrey

King of Pentacles - Instead of identifying with this king it feels like I am the little Fae girl who is sitting on his lap and it feels so safe and warm, nurtured and cared for. This king represents my home, my family, my books etc. and lots of coffee. It feels like home to me but I have to be careful not to get to comfortable there because I do want to keep building on my self-reliance and self-confidence. But for the here and now it is a good place to be. Resting, enjoying his stories, and regaining my strength to get on with my life.
Six of Swords - This is quite another energy. This woman is following the eagles in the sky; higher and higher into the far away mountains. She is leaving everything known to her behind to find truth and clarity and a new way of looking at life. Often our minds are clouded with assumptions, so it is good to step away,breath in some fresh air, filled with new ideas and gain some broader perspectives.
Temperance - a great card to find between the previous two. Neither of both energies are meant to stay the same for a long time. This card promotes to dance through life harmoniously and take the lessons and joy from each and every situation. She seems to pour her fluids effortlessly, moving the energies, like the flow of the river behind her. But when we look closely to her face, we see her concentration because she doesn't want to spill one drop of it. So live life and choose joy!

Honestly, I loved doing this. It felt like free writing; Just going with the flow. Not at all as scary as I thought it would be.J

21 comments:

  1. One of my all-time favorite decks. So nice to see it here in your lovely space. I'm considering pairing it up with one of Froud's Faerie oracles for my daily draws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they will be perfect together, a match made in heaven :)
      Do you have a blog too where you share your daily draws?

      Delete
  2. I do have a cartomancy blog though it is currently private. I've been considering making it public in the last little while as I've been so touched by the generosity of the Tarot blogging community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the support and encouragement of this community too . The down side of a public blog is you have to filter what you share and what you want to keep private:)
      Hope to be able to read your draws one day. You write so beautifully

      Delete
  3. That King of Pents is one reason I bought this deck. There is such a cozy, warm love expressed in its image. But your reading makes a good point - it is very easy to get a little to comfortable sometimes and not want to do anything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we do have to give ourselves a kick in the butt and get moving again. :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful cards and great insights! I should do some more free writing with some of my cards. It is definitely a good way to loosen up and depend less upon the guidebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually with RW kind of decks I am very confident about my reading but with decks like this I find it more difficult to rely on my intuition so this was a self affirming experience which i can highly recommend

      Delete
  5. Ha, the drawer of lost decks made me smile. Although my decks are all alphabetised and stored, I still feel like decks get lost. I haven't used this one for a long time, either. Ah, so many decks, so little time! :)

    Glad you did this writing, it really brought me clarity with the cards, exploring them beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe! It is a shame to leave them somewhere gathering dust. but that is inseparably linked with being a deck collector in a busy world :)

      Delete
  6. A very nice, organic way to spend time with an "old" deck! I have this deck but rarely use it. I think the art is beautiful, but for one reason or another doesn't do it for me as a regular reading deck. But I like that you sat with the pictures, and how you picked out one thing that drew your attention in each one. If I don't look at the titles at the bottom, this line looks to me like a woman recalling the emotional connection to her father. A little more 6 of Cups, I guess, in that regard!! The King of Pentacles is so rich and loving and warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first my experience with this deck were the same as yours. Maybe you can remember I've send the fist copy back to the store but decided later on I had to have it and bought another copy. I've never regretted it although won't become one of my main reading decks.
      I love your interpretation. Without the titles it could be a great oracle deck :)

      Delete
  7. This is lovely, Ellen, so free and evocative and so beautifully written. I felt I was being taken along with you! These are beautiful cards, I don't have this deck but (coincidentally) have been working with the Fae lately. Your insights are perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margo! It is just the right season for working with the Fae I guess, These cards give a very raw and honest view of these energies. :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely post! As you know, I love this deck (I think we both relate to each other's experiences with it through not connecting with it it initially). I really enjoyed reading how you walked with it and let it guide you. I think there are some decks which just won't let you force them into a structure and this is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are quite right Steve. I even think this deck is the one that led me to your blog. :)
      I've been carrying it around me everywhere, leaving the guidebook on the shelf, playing with it whenever I can and it really comes to live again.:)

      Delete
  9. I too love this deck, and I absolutely love your interpretation of the King of Pentacles, it too is my favourite card in the deck along with the Page of Wands,
    What a lovely way to spend some time getting re-acquainted..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I felt so good to just play with them and let my mind wonder about the cards without having clip and clear answers.

      Delete
  10. Nice looking deck. I love you drawer of lost decks. :) Mine are stored in various locations. I need to gather them together. I have one bin of 'not for me' decks. I need to do something with those also. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily they are not all lost but some of them always seem to be overlooked.
      Have a great weekend too and enjoy the excavation of lost decks. Who knows what treasure you will find.

      Delete