Monday, December 1, 2014

Four of Stones - emptying my drawer

Chrysalis Tarot Four of Stones Holly Sierra
For today I've pulled the Four of Stones from the Chrysalis Tarot. The keyword for this card is “Possessions” which is beautifully depicted in this card as a bejeweled chest probable filled whatever stuff is most prized in your opinion.
I pulled this card when I was rummaging through my tarot drawer and my drawer with “magical stuff, like altar cloths, candles and crystals etc. I am very fond of these things. Playing with them, handling them is almost soothing. But I wonder if I am letting these items blocking my way to what really matters? The chest in the card is  “blocking the pathway of self-understanding.” Do I need these things to feel spiritually connected and if so: Why and to what extent?

Maybe because I am a very Swordy type of person, I think I need these items to instantly connect with Spirit, without having to read lengthy prayers, ritual texts or informative books. Smelling incense instantly puts me in the right mindset. Touching a crystal relaxes me and oh my goodness, playing with my cards is such a wonderful way to access my intuition. Maybe it isn't the fact we use these tools which might be hindering us, but more the way how we perceive them. They are nice but not necessary. They are not magical themselves but they can help to evoke the magic within us. Holding a mala while chanting is nice but buying the next perfect mala isn’t going to improve this practice. I wonder how I would feel if I would empty my chest/ drawer/room for one week and only keep three things….: one deck, one crystal,  one candle………..

10 comments:

  1. Yikes, you scared me with the concept of clearing out and only keeping one of each thing! Definitely not happening here :D Crystals have such different energies, as do decks. Just this morning, someone posted six different versions of the Four of Pentacles, and it was so interesting seeing them all there together, and seeing which one spoke to me most in that exact moment!
    My thought on this is that, as you say, we don't need these things to connect to the divine or to our intuition. But there is a reason that so many spiritual practices use tools! Even monks have rosaries, and buddhist monks have prayer wheels. So, it's back to what Bev and I were discussing last week - using these things when they are helpful, without being overly attached to them. I don't think I manage that balance well, but I also don't think getting rid of everything is necessarily the answer… :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just for one week Kerry! :D
      I could never give up the diversity of my tools, crystals, decks and statue's. They reflect so much who I am and how I perceive God(dess). But for now entering the darkest period of the year I thought it could be a kind of cleansing to minimize my "stuff" and building up my altar piece by piece again like I've done last year:
      http://greyladyshearth.blogspot.nl/2013/11/clearing-my-altar.html

      Delete
  2. I think it is important to look at our motivation for accumulating things. Are we really using them in our spiritual practices (which is a good thing) or is buying more stuff just a distraction from actually practicing? I remember reading a book called "Darsan: Seeing the Divine Image in India." It described many elaborate altars of some worshipers, but also described how some who were poor would cover a large stone with red powder. Instead of an expensive statue or painting, this would be their focus. Reading that made a BIG impression on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I find myself looking for a deck which can help me to read more in depth. or which might support my spiritual growth better than others. Then it feels a bit obsessive. Most of the time though I am aware stuff is only what I want it to be.
      So I wonder if such a "stone"like altar could be enough for me and if it perhaps might be less distracting than a crowded elaborate one.

      Delete
  3. Ellen, I think your point "They are not magical themselves but they can help to evoke the magic within us. ", is what I see as significant. In my opinion they are simply tools to enable us to focus on spiritual matters, so we can find our center. I don't need a lot of stuff to do this, but I still have to make the time so I can focus myself and get quiet. Whatever works for each individual. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making the time to focus and be quiet. That is what counts and that is what in my opinion is the hardest part: to find the time and when you've found it use it for connecting with Spirit instead of something "more pressing" :D
      I've told you before: I envy your attachment to this one deck. Not having to chose between so many.:)

      Delete
  4. If your items enrich your life they have already earned their keep. It is when the pursuit and ownership of items becomes the goal that we need to reassess our life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of my items do have earned their keep so to speak but sometimes it was more about the chase and when I finally held the item in my hand it was just that: a thing

      Delete
  5. I try to use all of my decks and other spiritual/divinatory things but sometimes I find I buy items (like my runes) because it seems like I should have them but is not something I will necessarily use. That card is lovely, so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello CW Good to hear form you Again. I hope you are doing well!
      I do use most of my "Stuff regularly too but my runes have been gathering dust thanks for reminding me about them :D

      Delete