Sunday, December 28, 2014

A Tiny Tarot Reading for the New Year

This morning I decided to draw two cards for the coming new year just for an overall view; a kind of theme.
The first card would provide the question or the situation and the second card would be an advice or an elaboration for the first card. I've used the original Rider Waite for this mini reading.
Original Rider Waite Tarot Four of Cups
The first card I got was the Four of Cups. This card is asking me to consider when I feel really content. Is it because of the beauty of these three cups, or is it about the content or is it perhaps because I have the time to sit beneath a tree to relax? But what about the fourth cup? Do I need it on order  to be more happy and content? Does this cup hold the promise of  perfect everlasting happiness and joy. It is something I need or just want because it has been made available?
This card has brought up a lot of timely questions because My word for 2015 will be “Simplicity”:
Trying to be happy and content with the small things, feeling gratitude for the daily events and also trying not to be not so easily influenced by YouTube and blogs etc. as to what I “need to have”  in order to be happy J.  
Original Rider Waite The MagicianOf course there is so much more to this word then  what I can write in this post for now. I  will have an entire year to further explore the depth of its meaning.
The second card is the Magician.  The first thing I noticed were the four tools on his table which is all he needs for making his magic happen. If I would tap into this archetype I would find my inner strength would be enough to be fulfilled and happy. It is in myself where my true power resides.  Not even in the tools in front of me. Whatever is in my three cups or in the fourth; they are merely things to enjoy but not necessary to become fully who I am supposed to be.  
It sounds good to me and hopefully I will remember this when the next “temptation” comes along

11 comments:

  1. My initial reaction to Cups is usually a happy one...that is, until I get down to the meaning of a particular card, where, and when I usually get a reality check.
    The Four of Cups speaks to me about getting easily get bored, and jaded with excess in my life especially when it comes to things.

    It would be easy to withdraw from the pleasures of friendship and love, because of being hurt, or let down by people, places, and things that do not meet my expectations, which are often unrealistic.

    What I crave as a human being, and need, can't be found in excess or by external means outside of myself, I know. I have had to search for a higher purpose in life, to find that often seemingly elusive happiness within myself. I'm still searching up to a point, but I think I am on the right track in remembering to always ask the Creator to help me find my way.

    Sometimes I find it hard to see the forest for the trees, when I get caught up in everyday mundane routines and daily life events.

    These cards have an important message I think Ellen, and I'm glad you drew them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you sharing this Catherine. I guess this theme is a challenge for most of us.
      "elusive happiness" reminds me this story
      A puppy once said to an older dog: "After some study, I have mastered philosophy. I have learned that happiness for a dog is in his tail. Therefore I chase my tail. And when I catch it, I shall have happiness!"
      Upon hearing the puppy, the older dog said, "I too find happiness in my tail. I've noticed, however, that as I chase my tail, it runs from me. But when I go about my business, my tail follows me."
      Hugs

      Delete
    2. Oh that's a good one! Thank you for that gem Ellen! <3

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a great reminder, Ellen! I haven't yet chosen a word for 2015, and I definitely want to… Your word is fabulous - keep it simple, keep it joyful :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerry! I will be looking forward reading which word you have chosen fro yourself

      Delete
  3. Simplicity is a great concept, but a difficult thing to live by in this age of media with its emphasis on consumption! Yet as I look at the Magician, I see tools within me, tools that I already have access to and can use. Instead of getting distracted by all the "pretties" I see, I can develop what I have. Great message for the New Year Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bev I am happy you've got some thing out of it. Yes we do have already everything we need inside us and some treasures are yet to be discovered. Exciting!!!

      Delete
  4. Hi my dear Ellen! Beautiful reading! You are very right. I think the magic is inside us, and we have the tools. to make it real, to make it happens."Simplicity" perfect word, and we can find it in a lot of small things and in each minute, in each word, in each gesture, in all things we currently don't pay attention to. The treasures we have, are those which money can't buy :) The best wishes for you dear friend and your beautiful family! Lots of Muchas Estrellas!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi my dear friend! You've totally got it. Knowing is the first step; practicing it is a bit more daunting but hey we've got a whole new year waiting for us
      I wish you a wonderful and magical 2015 and many, many stars
      Big Hug

      Delete
  5. Oh that's lovely, Ellen! What a great word 'simplicity' is, and such clear sentiments on the cards. I shall think of a word for my year as well. I'm exactly the same when it comes to blogs and youtube etc. More 'stuff' isn't necessary for real happiness. Big hug :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is so easy to get overwhelmed by all the goodies shown online. Glad I am not the only one!
      I would love to hear your word when you've found it ( or maybe when it has found you :D)
      Big Hug to you too

      Delete