Thursday, September 29, 2016

Ace of Swords and Eight of Coins - Chop wood and carry water

My card for today is the Ace of Swords; a card of clarity and bright ideas and also in this version: reaching for the light within, which is in my opinion a way to enlightenment. Finding your most inner truth can feel like being reborn. Often it is a simple truth, one which you knew all along but never fully understood. Something like mindfulness or the power of breath or knowing we’re  always connected to everything.
This is the season I  always feel very drawn to go within and search for truth there but I also know Autumn, even though I adore it so much, is the season during which I am more susceptible to downhearted feelings and thoughts. So I asked my deck, how do I keep myself from over thinking and trying too hard to discover my truth, my spark, my guiding light and what will prevent me from feeling depressed when I don't find it (yet)
And I pulled: The Eight of Coins.
Seeing these two cards together, I was instantly reminded of the Zen proverb:
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."
This card’s advice is to ground myself in my daily activities, cleaning my house, making dinner, watering my plants, knitting etc. All these activities occupy the mind just enough to keep it from wandering all over the place and they allow us to enter the present moment in a relaxed state of mind. It is doesn’t matter what you do but how you do it. Every activity can transcend from a boring and time consuming chore into an act of gratitude and grace. Not the activity itself has to change but the way we do things.
One more thing: often when I am busy with my daily “chores” I get the best idea’s. Something I think bright idea’s don’t want to be found because maybe they rather find us…

13 comments:

  1. I pulled the eight of coins yesterday. I love how the surrounding cards led us to different, but similar in a way, conclusions. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alaina! that is the beautiful of tarot I think. Otherwise it would get boring very soon :) Now tarot is a tool which I'll never get tired of!!

      Delete
  2. There is a line in the Bhagavad Gita that suggests we make everything an offering (rather than a chore). You're cards and the Zen proverb seem to allude to the same thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about this when I wrote this post but I couldn't remember it well enough to mention it :D So thank you for reminding me!!

      Delete
  3. When I get my home cleaned and in order I really feel like I have accomplished something. The Ace of Swords helps me clean my thoughts. When we accomplish one thing it usually gives us the incentive to tackle more; with one thing leading to another. Like that Eight of Coins building on and doing more with proficiency. Whatever you are ready to do Ellen, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I do love the spacious feeling of a clean home and mind :)

      Delete
  4. So true that doing bright ideas to order doesn't work but stepping away from the PCs or laptop and allowing deals o form organially does...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes when we focus on something entirely else it ideas almost seems to flow effortlessly into our mind

      Delete
  5. Many, many "yes's"!!! When I was a teenager and hated doing the dishes after dinner, my stepdad posted a note over the sink that read, "Washing the dishes is like bathing the baby Buddha." Point being that if we come to understand every seemingly mundane chore as an expression of the sacred, it is no longer boring. I did indeed come to enjoy dishwashing as a time for quiet reflection (and it the cold north I enjoyed it because it felt good to immerse my hands in warm water!!). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely and wise remark of your stepdad! It's just like Bev's "make everything an offering". A small change in perception often makes a huge difference! :)

      Delete
  6. It's fascinating how different people are affected by the seasons. I have a dear friend who gets down in the spring, because everything is blossoming around her and it makes her feel old.

    I'm loving the autumn, with the crisp, clear mornings and the warm, slightly faded feel of the sun. I need a jumper, because of the cold, but I don't mind. That Ace of Swords reminds me of that - reaching for the clarity of the dawn, but beware of the bite of the cold :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have those feelings in the beginning of Spring too, although I emjoy both seaspns thoroughly.Autumn and Spring are a kind of gateway seasons for me.

      Delete