Tuesday, August 16, 2016

King of Pentacles – Our Pater Familias came to the party

Today’s card is the King of Pentacles from the Original Rider Waite Tarot, the Wild Unknown Tarot and the Wildwood Tarot. He is the patriarch, the provider and the defender of the family. He is strong, confident, skillful and  just. The perfect leader of his pack or herd.
King of Pentacles Original Rider Waite Tarot Wildwood tarot Wild unknown Tarot
For me not always an easy court card to interpret but for today it reminds me of my dad. “Family comes first” was his credo. He has worked his whole life hard to provide for us and after he had retired he could find joy in the simple pleasures of life: coffee, a walk, good book etc.  Yesterday it was M. her birthday and although he isn’t with us anymore in a way he was very present. Somehow it started when in the morning I gave M a kiss to congratulate her with her birthday. Suddenly I saw such a strong resemblance of my dad in her, which I’d never seen before because she is the spitting image of my mother and me. Throughout the day, when other family members arrived,  we kept seeing other family resemblances in one another. Some of us who were always compared to my mom suddenly also looked like my dad or vice versa but one way or another my dad was always part of the conversation. The King of Pentacles from the Original Rider Waite Tarot is connected to the earth by an overgrowth of winding and binding vines. This symbolizes today for me my dad is always with us; connected to us through his Love for us and his  Dna in us. And if  miss him we only have to look in our heart for him or ...in the mirror

4 comments:

  1. After my Dad passed years back he was everywhere. A whisper on the wind, a scent, a shared memory. One day when my nephews and nieces were spending weekend with me, I asked who was watching the tv in the other room? One nephew piped in that is was papaw, he came for a visit and was watching the tv. We all had a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes often children can be very susceptible for those feelings.:)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post (and please send birthday wishes to M!). I think recognizing what we've inherited (beyond looks) is a good thing. Then we have a choice over what we want to keep and what needs to be put away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Message delivered and "thank you" back! Yes, it is so easy to follow in their footsteps but not always so wise

      Delete